Newport has a number of dangerous roads that are notorious for auto and truck accidents. However, Interstate 40 (I-40) is perhaps the most dangerous road of all, and it traverses the entirety of Tennessee.
Due to traffic density and drivers who are unfamiliar with the route, there is a high risk of being involved in an accident while driving on I-40. Common causes of collisions (often referred to as accidents) on I-40 include but are not limited to:
- Traffic density. There is an increased risk of being involved in an accident while driving on any interstate, including I-40. Interstates have more motorists and commercial drivers. Some people driving on the interstate are not familiar with the area, which can lead to accidents caused by illegal U-turns, sudden braking and other dangerous maneuvers. You have probably seen people conduct these maneuvers after missing an exit or while trying to merge with traffic.
- Distracted driving. Everyone should know by now that texting and driving is dangerous. However, texting behind the wheel is a major cause of car accidents in Tennessee and across the country. Other types of distracted driving, such as eating, grooming, changing the radio or talking with passengers, can also increase the risk of causing an accident. On an interstate, eating behind the wheel is very common. People will stop at fast food restaurants, buy food at the drive-thru and then continue driving while eating.
- Impaired driving. Like on other roads in our state, some drivers cause accidents because they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This includes over-the-counter drugs such as antihistamines.
- Commercial trucks. Interstates have a higher density of commercial trucks, also called 18 wheelers. These massive vehicles can weigh 40 tons when fully loaded, so even minor collisions cause immense destruction. Interstate truck drivers use I-40 to traverse the country, so you are more likely to encounter 18 wheelers while driving on this road.
- Dangerous driving. Drivers who are speeding, tailgating, conducting illegal U-turns and attempting to pass trucks who are trying to change lanes are much more likely to cause accidents. These are all common behaviors on I-40 and other interstates.
- Fatigue. Although fatigued driving can occur anywhere, it is more likely to happen on an interstate. You are more likely to come across motorists who have been driving long distances without resting. This is true for both regular and commercial drivers.
About Our Cocke County Car Accident Law Firm
Myers & Ball, LLP is a Tennessee personal injury law firm with experience handling car accident claims. We take cases for car accidents, truck accidents and motorcycle accidents. If you have questions about your legal rights after a car accident, then you can schedule a free consultation with our law firm. Call (423)248-1023 or use our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.